Horton’s Kids seeks a driven, organized, creative Manager of Events & Communications to lead the execution of small and large-scale events to support organizational fundraising efforts. The events include the organization’s primary fundraisers: Home Runs for Horton’s Kids, which takes place in the spring, and Give Thanks & Give Back, which takes place in the fall. The manager will also oversee and implement all external organizational communications.
The Manager of Events & Communications plays an integral role in the organization’s development department. Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead the execution of the annual Home Runs for Horton’s Kids event, which is a 1,000-person family-friendly fundraiser that takes place at Nationals Park
- Lead the execution of annual Give Thanks & Give Back, the organization’s major fall fundraiser, focused primarily on individual donors
- Coordinate a calendar of smaller donor stewardship and cultivation events and execute all event details
- Manage all aspects of corporate volunteer engagement events
- Implement PR strategy to increase Horton’s Kids visibility
- Lead the writing and design of organizational collateral, including brochures, one-pagers, and annual reports
- Manage social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Carry out the design of mailed appeals and other development materials using InDesign
- Write and coordinate annual calendar of e-communication to donors, volunteers, and prospective donors.
- Manage organizational website
Qualifications: The ideal candidate is an excellent verbal and written communicator, systems-oriented, and can handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously. Additional essential competencies and experience include:
- Demonstrated success in communications and events management work.
- 2-4 years of events/communications experience; work in a nonprofit and/or fundraising context preferred
- Knowledge of or experience on Capitol Hill preferred
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university
- Enthusiasm for Horton’s Kids’ mission and passion for social justice
- Flexibility and enthusiasm to work beyond the regular work week as needed, including evenings and occasional weekends
- Ability to be a team player in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with a small, hard-working team
- Working knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and WordPress preferred
Horton’s Kids staff works in a metro-accessible office located on Capitol Hill. Staff should expect to work some evening and weekend hours, do some lifting, and assist at programming with the children.
If interested, please email a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and three references with the subject “Manager of Events & Communications, Your Name” to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email and the cover letter should be addressed to Mr. Billy Fettweis. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
Applicants will be asked to undergo standard screening requirements including an FBI background check, Child Protection Register check, and TB test. Must be 18 or older to apply. Horton’s Kids, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.