The Sr. Manager of Secondary Programs (“the SMSP”) at Horton’s Kids (“HK”) develops, implements, and evaluates all education and youth development programs for grades 8-12 at Horton’s Kids. The individual will work in partnership with the Deputy Director, Director of Elementary Programs, and the Director of Community Center and Outreach.
This role requires a combination of focus and flexibility, the ability to think both broadly and strategically about our work. The SMSP needs to be detail-oriented and organized about the implementation and structures for high quality programming. This role works closely with the Deputy Director and requires a resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and analytical skills.This full-time, exempt position reports to Deputy Director and encompasses three primary accountabilities:
1. Program Coordination and Implementation
I. Manages the program delivery and direct impact of programming for grades 8-12 programming
- Develop, deliver, and train staff on secondary educational and youth development best practice and implementation
- Support annual enrollment process and maintain enrollment numbers for programs
- Serve as resource to staff on best practice as it relates to youth development and secondary educational practices
- Serve as the lead to foster relationships with all middle and high schools participants attend, immediate community members, other community partners and organizations to enhance the development of Horton’s Kids programming for older youth.
- Oversees the case management team members and the process while also managing caseload of 10 youth throughout the year.
II. Coordinates initiatives for older youth through education initiatives and health supports
- Manage programmatic integration of youth development practices within programs
- Support summer programming planning processes and program implementation
- Provide direct serve support with evening, weekend, and summer programs to observe and provide feedback on program quality
III. Work closely with Deputy Director to coordinate strategic initiative planning, roll-out, implementation, and observation.
- Coordinate with Deputy Director on grant requirements, outcomes, and other initiatives that impact programs, including staff roles and training at events
- Meet with program staff to help support programmatic planning
- Assist in the development of systems for ongoing management of initiatives
- Play connecting role between direct reports and broader program staff
2. Staff Management
I. Directly manage the following positions:
- Older Youth Education Manager
- Secondary Programs Associate
II. Provide strategic leadership to direct reports to support their personal and professional well-being and development
III. Support the development and management of staff through regular check-ins and annual performance evaluations
3. Data & Program Evaluation
I. Ability to monitor the implementation and administration of assessments to gather the critical information that impact the effectiveness and quality of programming
II. Coordinate with directors in assessing the academic and youth development goals through regular assessment, observation, and feedback
III. Work collaboratively to support programmatic goal setting and research questions to facilitate the effectiveness of programming
Critical core competencies for successful performance in this role are:
• Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy
• Results/action-orientation; project management skills; program management experience
• Organizational and political agility; developed negotiation and diplomacy skills
• Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity, and trust
• Able to successfully navigate within varying degrees of ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
• Strong strategic/financial analysis skills
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of HKids and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discreet, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly-organized and committed to the vision and values of HKids. In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
• Bachelors Degree required. MA or similar degree a plus.
• Minimum of 3-5 years experience supervising a diverse team.
• Mission-driven; passionate about Horton’s Kids’ and the work we do.
• Teaching or in-depth experience working with High School academic programs focused on college and career access.
• Experience in career and academic coaching for first time college students.
• Knowledge of Positive Youth Development, Youth Engagement, and Alternative Educational Approaches.
• Demonstrated success developing, implementing, and evaluating program models.
• Demonstrated experience with similar populations in urban communities.
• Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool in order to assess program quality and effectiveness.
• Experienced project management skills in overseeing multi-faceted projects resulting in measureable success.
• Developed sense of self and strong personal presence.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications.
Horton’s Kids offers a generous benefits package including vacation, summer break, holiday breaks, sick time, parental leave, flexible hours and telework options, employer-matched retirement, mobile phone allowance, employer-paid health benefits, and more.
Email resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Sr. Manager of Secondary Programs” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Horton’s Kids is an equal opportunity employer.