Horton’s Kids is a community-based organization working to drive positive change in the lives of 500 children in grades K – 12 living in one of the most under-resourced communities in southeast Washington, DC, called Wellington Park. In this neighborhood, 80 percent of adults do not have a high school diploma, and the average annual household income is less than $10,000. With support from committed volunteers, Horton’s Kids’ goal is to change the life trajectory of children by providing academic, youth development, and health and basic needs supports. To learn more about Horton’s Kids, please visit www.hortonskids.org.
We are seeking a highly-motivated person to serve as a part-time Tutoring Program Assistant.
- Assisting with organizing and operating evening tutoring programs and homework help on Capitol Hill, as well as occasional Sunday field trips in the DC area. Schedule would be approximately as follows:
- Monday evenings, 4:30-8:30pm
- Tuesday evenings, 4:30-8:30pm
- Sunday/Saturday afternoons 12:00pm-4:00pm (approximately once per month)
- Chaperoning students on buses to and from tutoring programs: assisting staff with supervision, behavior management, and safety assurance
- Helping to supervise a tutoring room: maintaining tutoring protocols, tracking student and tutor issues, providing support to tutoring pairs
- Assisting staff and volunteers with discipline of children during programs in a respectful manner to children that helps model for them what positive behaviors look like
- Occasionally act as a tutor substitute, providing tutoring for children and communicating with tutors/volunteers about child concerns or questions
- Previous experience working with children in elementary grades (k-6), experience working with at risk children preferred.
- At least one reference will need to be able to speak to the applicant’s ability with working with children.
- Strong behavior management skills
- Ability to work well within a team and a strong belief in the mission of Horton’s Kids that all children can succeed when given the proper support
Hourly wage starts at $13.00 per hour, commensurate with experience.
Applicants will be asked to undergo a standard FBI background check, and will be asked to submit fingerprints, a TB test, and be certified in First Aid/CPR, once hired as mandated for working with children. Must be at least 18-years old to apply. Horton’s Kids, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply:
Horton’s Kids is accepting applications now. Interested applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please specify “Tutoring Program Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.